Bold statement. I know…
I may have rolled my eyes just a little bit at myself even as I typed it.
It’s one of those catchy phrases that people who do direct sales seemingly tend to overuse.
“I don’t just sell this product, I really truly believe it in.”
“This product has forever changed my life and I just can’t help but share it with you.”
“I just know that once you try it for yourself the product will sell itself.”
“Can I just send you a sample and then share with you about this incredible business opportunity?”
And that list could literally go on for miles.
Direct sales in many ways can be such a wonderful business opportunity…but those opportunities also walk the fine line of possibly becomming destructive in relationships as well.
Some of my sweet friends in direct sales are actually still my sweet friends even though I haven’t “bought in” and I think that’s amazing. And there are so many that I am awe of as I see them handle their small businesses with such dignity and class.
However I have also experienced my fair share of people that absolutely have not handled themselves with such honor. I once had someone call me at least once a week for YEARS to ask me if I was interested in her makeup business. I met her toward the end of middle school and I was in COLLEGE by the time she finally took my “no” for a final answer.
Being “hit up” that often can get pretty annoying and it got to the point that not only was it a teasing opportunity for my family toward me, but I would literally let out a groan every time I would see her name on my phone. Sometimes I day dream about what could have been had I chosen to put a dollar aside for every time I was solicited for direct sales companies…and I’ll tell you this much…we would seriously not be struggling as much as we are in finding a house we could afford for our family of 7 out here in CA…
But here’s the thing…I have to be honest with myself and with you. I now use Young Living oils and truly do love them. Some of you have asked me about them and inside I immediately become a nervous wreck. I sheepishly stare at my feet and shuffle around and come up with some fluffy answer to redirect the conversation as soon as possible.
Why do I do that? Why am I afraid to share? What holds me back?
Well, put simply….although these oils truly have changed our lives for the better I’m terrified that my words about it will not just be lumped into the category of the worst kinds of direct sales people.
So, there it is…fear. I’m just a big huge scaredy cat.
There’s really no good reason to not be more open…so here goes…
I use Young Living Essential Oils and I love them.
There, okay, it’s out there now.
No, these oils are not life changing in the sense that they have fixed every ailment and every problem our family has faced since bringing them into our home….but they have most certainly changed our lives in many ways for the better.
From here on out I’m going to open up and share from time to time about what we use, why we use it and what I think. But please hear me on this…I’m not out to make a buck and it is not my life long dream to become a high ranking oil expert. As I learn more and become more familiar I’ll share my journey with you.
If you do happen to be interested in the oils themselves or joining up in this journey with me I’ll try my best to not shy away anymore. You will need to know right up front, though, that I don’t know much about oils at all yet. In fact, it’s still quite embarrassing how little I know compared to the gurus out there. So far I have only taken one simple intro class from a new sweet friend who saw my struggle with sales and offered to come sit in my home after the kids went to bed. She has never made a big show about it or talked me into me throwing some weird party.
I greatly respected her for that. She literally just had a desire to teach and help me. She calls every so often check in and to answer any questions I have and she has welcomed my texts asking which oil does what and how to combine different ones to help various problems. But because of her relaxed, non-pressure approach I have found myself less itchy to run away and more willing to linger and slowly ease into learning more. And I want to be like that.
So how have these oils changed our lives?! Here’s just a quick snap shot from the very beginning of my journey until now:
- I began using my first oil because I had a headache. A friend had given me Peppermint one night and I put it on my temples. My headache immediately went away. I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough to explore anything more. (One simple cured headache was not enough to get me past my opposition to the sales barrier.)
- A few months later I noticed a sweet friend in another state had put a post up on facebook offering free samples to anybody that just wanted to try some. I responded to it and thought that since she wasn’t in it for the sales she’d be “safe” to me. But once I got them in the mail I literally just set them on my desk and forgot all about them…somewhat intentionally.
- A few more months went by and kiddo number 4 got really, really, really sick with some nasty, horrible, stomach bug, high fever, cold and flu junk. Poor thing threw up for 3 straight days like clockwork every hour on the hour. Matt was out of town and by evening on day #3 my son and I both were entirely exhausted.
I knew I had to do something and I was left with the option of taking all five kids to the ER with me (what I consider to be the equivalent of hell on earth) OR try any desperate measure to get him better. I happened to glance over at my desk and saw those samples my friend had given me months earlier and thought it was worth a shot. I used coconut oil from my kitchen to dilute some Peppermint on his head, Theives and Frankincense on his feet, and some Digize on his tummy.
He had been quarantined in my bedroom (so the other 4 wouldn’t get sick too) and since Matt was gone I had given him a little bell that he would ring whenever he was about to get sick again.
I put those oils on him, left the bell by his side, and went down to start making dinner for the other kids.
About 15 minutes later I heard the bell ringing loud and clear. I dropped my spatula and sprinted upstairs expecting to find him crying and throwing up again…but instead he was sitting up, his eyes actually making eye contact for the first time in 3 days. I immediately stopped and just stared at him for a moment and asked if he was okay.
No joke, this is exactly what he said, “Oh ya, I’m fine mom. Hey, could you make me a grilled cheese?” “Ummmmmm……what was that buddy? Did you just say you want a grilled cheese?” “Ya, I’m really hungry now.” Blank face…..”Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh……….well……….of course I’ll make it but please keep that bell and that bucket right by you just in case.” I made him a grilled cheese and wouldn’t you know he ate the entire thing. He then asked for apple sauce and some juice and within 5 minutes of finishing those he asked if he could go ride his scooter outside….which he did…and later slept the entire night through without one vomit sesh.
- A few days later, still somewhat in shock, I knew I needed to get past my stubbornness and try to learn more. If oils had that great of an impact in such a short time frame on such a sick child what was wrong with me that I wouldn’t try to help my kids like that more?! That’s when I called my friend who came to my house to teach me. I purchased a starter kit, which had a bunch of the basic oils, and a diffuser…and I’ve been using them every day ever since.
- One of my favorites so far is Lemon. I normally HATE lemon in my water…but not this stuff. I just cannot get enough of it. Every morning when I wake up that’s the first thing I drink. I also have it in my water bottle all day as well. The kids love it in theirs too. Apparently there are a ton of health benefits to using it, but I honestly would have to look it up to remember.
- I love, love, love Frankincense…I use it at night mixed in with my Egyptian Magic and in the morning with my daytime Aveda hydrating lotion. One drop goes a long way and my skin has felt tighter, more hydrated, and smoother.
- I was using diluted Lavender for nighttime for me and the kids but then found the Relaxation Massage Oil (which has lavender and a few other oils in it all premixed with a pump bottle) and I absolutely love it. This is my favorite product to date. It has literally changed how we approach our bed time routine every night.
Instead of rushing (because honestly by that time of day we are prone to exhaustion and ready for the house to be quiet) we have slowed the process way down and we now read stories together as a family with white twinkle lights and battery candles. The kids are calm and the home becomes quiet and peaceful. They sometimes take turns brushing my hair (it’s adorable) while I take turns rubbing oils on each of the kids legs and feet while Matt reads to us all.
It’s absolutely surreal….and exactly what I pictured life looking like when I daydreamed long ago of having babies. We then sing and pray together and even though there’s 4 young boys in this house they smell amazing and all sleep so soundly.
- I am far more intentional now to get out in front of sicknesses and help fight them before they get bad. Using oils does not mean that we never get sick, but I have noticed a huge, huge difference in the longevity and severity of the illnesses during the times when I use them verses when I don’t.
- I clean with oils now. I’m not so crazy (yet) that I have taken eeeeeverything that isn’t Young Living out of my home…but there’s a TON that I have simply thrown away. I clean my counters, tables, windows, floors, bathrooms etc…with Thieves. Personally, I just love that it takes up far less storage (our little Cali “cottage” does NOT have much storage in it at ALL) and these oils cost far less money because I’m only using one product.
- My kids clean with oils now. I have no trouble with them helping around the house using the spray bottle because I know how safe it is…and gosh, it’s so helpful to be able to have their help and not worry what they’re touching.
- The overall mood in our home changes whenever I take the time to diffuse oils. No, my kids do not become little cherubs with glowing halos, but I would say that the attitudes of everyone in the family do shift for the better.
I’m also willing to admit that it might just be me though. Starting with breakfast, when I cook meals now I often put on music and diffuse oils while I’m in the kitchen. Instead of looking at that time to rush and hurry to get food on the table I’m much more calm, relaxed and truly do enjoy the process. Depending on what the family needs, or what season we are in will determine which oil I use. I loved the Christmas one during the holidays. Thieves and Peppermint together are always a go to…and I’m loving Orange lately because it just smells like spring to me.
- My favorite oil I personally use is Stress Away. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it has a blend of lime and vanilla…and to me it smells like heaven in a bottle. I have a Stress Away roller in my room, my kitchen and in my purse…Stress Away is my new BFF.Okay, I’m going to stop here because this is just getting to be too ridiculously long. But if you want to know more please feel free to comment below, ask me in an email or text me if you have my number. Like I said, I know so little, but I will be happy to answer whatever I can.If you are interested in purchasing oils click here. **Disclosure: I am now technically called an independent distributor of Young Living. Any suggestions made on this blog are very specific to Young Living essential oils and should not be used with oils from another source. Statements made on this website about Young Living Essential Oils have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician. If you are currently on medication, please DO NOT STOP.
We have started our journey with Essential Oils and have done our own research on the purity of oils. I am confident in using oils in our recipes because we only use Young Living. They are beyond organic and never use pesticides, herbicides or any harmful chemicals. Their soil has never been exposed to them as well. I don’t suggest ever using any other oil for ingestion because I do not know of the purity. I am not not taking the place of your licensed medical professional, I do not diagnose and do not take responsibility for your health. I encourage you to do your research and seek out conversations with medical professionals that you see regularly, love & trust. This info is for learning purposes only. I’m not a doctor, just simply sharing what has worked for my family. Please consult a health care practitioner when making any changes to your medical routine. This information is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. I cannot promise you any certain results.